Your work is worth it.
Protean, despite its newness, small budget, and rejection of advertising dollars, pays each and every one of its contributors on principle. The Protean Collective believes in the importance of full compensation for labor. Exposure doesn’t pay the bills. As such, we offer the highest price that we can afford commensurate to the work that our contributors provide. We do not expect contributors to work on spec—we agree on prices up front, and we pay in full prior to publication.
So why don’t you send it to us?
We accept complete works, drafts, and pitches on a rolling basis for our online content. However, as we are a small organization with a limited budget, we must be rather picky with what we accept. Please read the following guidelines prior to submitting:
- We do not have a submission fee.
- Please submit content to the appropriate email inbox, as outlined below.
- We will always reject submissions with overtly racist, sexist, transphobic, or fascistic content. We publish content geared explicitly for the political left. Please take that into consideration prior to submissions.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Just please let us know.
- We typically do not accept republications of written works. We make exclusions for poetry that has appeared on social media and unpublished excerpts from to-be-published books. But if it seems particularly relevant to Protean, please ask.
- A short bio or note about who you are is helpful for us when you submit your work.
Calls for submissions for our print editions will be announced via social media and a post on our website. Please inquire with advanced interest for our third print edition, which will be announced in late 2020.
Essays & Reviews
If you’re interested in submitting online essays or reviews, send us your pitch or your work at email@example.com. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable.
Word count can vary, but typically longer than 1000 words, and no longer than 6000. Exceptions can always be made, so please ask if it is important.
If you’re interested in submitting short fiction, send works to firstname.lastname@example.org, in whichever format is most convenient for you.
Word count can vary, but typically longer than 1500 words, and no longer than 6000. Exceptions can always be made, so please ask if it is important.
If you’re interested in submitting poetry, send as many as five poems to email@example.com, in whichever format is most convenient for you. Pasting directly into the body of the email works for us. A short bio or note about who you are is helpful. Simultaneous submissions are fine, as is work which has previously appeared on social media. If your poetry has been published elsewhere, but you feel it would be especially appropriate for Protean, just mention that in your email.
Poems need not be explicitly leftist, but all other things being equal, it’s preferable.
Art & Illustration
If you’re interested in contributing art or illustrations to Protean Magazine, send your portfolio and pitch to firstname.lastname@example.org.