Your work is worth it.
Protean, despite its newness, small budget, and rejection of advertising dollars, pays each and every one of its contributors on principle. The Protean Collective believes in the importance of full compensation for labor. Exposure doesn’t pay the bills. As such, we offer the highest price that we can afford commensurate to the work that our contributors provide. We do not expect contributors to work on spec—we agree on prices up front, and we pay in full prior to publication.
So why don’t you send it to us?
We accept complete works, drafts, and pitches on a rolling basis for our online content. However, as we are a small organization with a limited budget, we must be rather picky with what we accept. Please read the following guidelines prior to submitting:
- We do not have a submission fee.
- Please submit content to the appropriate email inbox, as outlined below.
- We publish work geared explicitly to the political left. Please take that into consideration prior to submitting.
- We will always reject submissions with racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, classist, ableist, or otherwise reactionary content.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Just please let us know.
- We typically do not accept republications of written works. We make exceptions for poetry that has appeared on social media and unpublished excerpts from upcoming books (rights permitting).
- A short bio or note about who you are is helpful for us when you submit your work.
- Our preferred format is a .doc sent as an attachment to your pitch email.
Calls for submissions for our print editions will be announced via social media and a post on our website.
Essays & Reviews
If you’re interested in submitting online essays or reviews, send us your pitch or your work at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable.
Word count can vary, but we typically look for pieces longer than 1,000 words, and no longer than 6,000. Exceptions can be made, so please ask if it is important.
If you’re interested in submitting short fiction, send works to email@example.com, in whichever format is most convenient for you. Fiction pieces should be between 1,000 and 4,000 words.
NOTE: Poetry submissions are currently closed.
If you’re interested in submitting poetry, send as many as five poems to firstname.lastname@example.org, in whichever format is most convenient for you. A short bio or note about who you are is helpful. Simultaneous submissions are fine, as is work that has previously appeared on social media.
Poems need not be explicitly leftist, but all else being equal, it’s preferable.
Art & Illustration
If you’re interested in contributing art or illustrations to Protean Magazine, send your portfolio and pitch to email@example.com.